Saturday 6 August 2011

Rudders Part3

So the temperature finally got above 15 deg C so I could do some fibreglass sheathing.

I had shaped and sanded both rudders. But was unsure as to how exactly I could cover both sides at the same time, as I really did not want to do any overlapping seams or extra fairing so I used some screw hooks and hung the rudder from the ceiling as seen in the picture. I also used a 500W light to keep it warm.


I covered the rudders with two layers of 200 gsm cloth. As with all the sheathing used for the boat the primary function is to protect the wood from impact damage.


One down, one to go.


This was the first time I have done any fibreglass work myself, I learned a few things, it is not as easy as it looks, using fast hardener means you have to hurry to get the mixed epoxy onto the cloth, not much fun worrying about stuffing it up after all the work that has gone into the rudders so far.

Next step is to trim excess cloth and cover the ends and fair/sand etc.


No comments:

Post a Comment