Thursday 10 May 2012

Getting my plank on

Finally I get to start closing in the hull. One last look before it gets covered. This pic really shows the shape of the boat very well. I have found two new things that are taking up more building time, staring and daydreaming :)



I have prepared one side of the plywood sheets by coating with epoxy, sanding and coating them again. This gives a very nice smooth clear finish to what will be the interior of the boat.


You can see in this picture I am lining up the second sheet on the outside of the port hull. I am using a car scissor jack to have good control over the location of the sheet to butt it against the first sheet. Once in place, I put a few screws in and then use a pencil to mark the location of stringers and framing on the interior side of the sheet. Then I remove the sheet to prepare it for mounting.


Using the pencil lines as a guide, I cut out the shape (slightly oversize to allow for trimming), drill the holes for the screws and sand where the stringers and framing will be.
Then I apply epoxy to the sanded areas and to the framing/stringers then thickened epoxy glue over the top, then screw in place with a lot of screws and tidy up the squeezed out glue. Then the next day I remove the screws and get ready for the next sheet.

2 comments:

  1. Wow, its been a year since your first post. A lot of progress has been made. Do you feel as though you are approaching completion soon? I've been following your progress and I'm quite impressed. Good work. Thank you for taking the time to chronicle the boats progress.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks Lawn Dawg. I'm happy with how things are going. However I do not feel like I will be finishing any time soon. With my current work rate of only 2 or 3 hours a week, it will be at least two more years, before completion.

    ReplyDelete