Monday 2 July 2012

Boat cloth

I have covered the bottom of the hull with 200gsm fibreglass cloth. With two layers on the keel for extra protection as I plan to beach the boat a lot.
I started by applying the first layer on the keel only and cut it along the chine with a blade while the epoxy was still at the gel stage. Then applied a second layer over the whole hull.


 I was reminded of why I don't much enjoy doing fibreglass work during this session. The second layer took 5 hours non stop.

It has been very cold in Auckland lately but fortunately my garage is a fairly controlled enviroment and with a heater and dehumidifier I am able to do this kind of work.



I am mostly happy with the result. A few runs here and there and a couple of air bubles to sort out. It seems a shame to add all this weight of cloth and resin to the boat, but it should make it last a long time with less maintenance.

No comments:

Post a Comment