Thursday 29 November 2012

Starting the cabin

Time now to build the cabin. The process of getting the roof profile is tricky especially as I have to repeat it exactly for the next hull.

Going off the plans, I drew a grid and copied the intersecting locations on the grid to get the roof profile and then screwed two pieces of ply together to cut out a matching piece for the starboard hull at the same time.

I now have a lot of pieces ready to go for hull number 2. It will be interesting to see how much less time it takes.


With the cabin starting to take shape I can get a feel for how much room will be in there. There should be plenty of room for overnighting and more. It is probably the most space you could reasonably expect to have in an open deck cat this size.

7 comments:

  1. Hi Rodney, The stepped hulls are a great way to get space where you need it and still keep a reasonably narrow waterline. I will be really interested to see how this boat sails when she hits the water. The next hull should be easier now you've worked it all out on the first one. Keep up the good work :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Greg. I too will be very interested in how it sails. One of the reasons I chose this design was because it is quite unique. I expect it's straight line speed will be pretty good. But the compromise will be slow tacking. I hope I can make hull 2 match hull 1 :)

      Delete
  2. looking great Rodney. The difference in size to the Duo 480 is becoming even more evident now. That super slim hull shape looks fast just standing still, though as you say, going round corners may be a new challenge. I suspect I will have the same learning curve with the 480 as it is a mix of the 650 and Bernd's smaller beach cats. Keep up the great work. Maybe we could catch up over hols or when you are around, love to see your progress first hand

    regds Bryan

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Bryan. I hope it is fast, looking at the under water profile it looks like there wont be much stopping it. Bernd has said there is a technique to learn to sail asymetric cats, it is a bit of a leap of faith.

      Yeah it would be good to catch up soon and hear about how the 480 is coming along also.

      Delete
  3. You kind of sail it round and keep the jib back winded until you are through the wind far enough for the jib to fill on the new tack. I used to tack my wharram like this when it was rough to avoid getting caught in irons. Once you get the knack its a piece a cake:-).

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks Greg. Sounds like it will be like sailing my old Maricat, but on a bigger scale.

    ReplyDelete
  5. yes its a very common technique for all the Hobie Cat sailors also. Hobie's are/were notorious for not tacking but once you get use to the idea of back-winding the jib its a walk in the park.

    ReplyDelete