Thursday 21 November 2013

Tricky bits

Mostly this boat is quick to build. Mostly.
What isn't so quick is the beam reinforcing areas.

In the picture below you can see part of what forms the structure for taking the aft beam loads.
This is very similar to the port hull except that on the port hull I have made the cross structure much larger and higher using a big piece of Mahogany which will double as a mounting point for the outboard motor.


Also I have restocked some consumables. I have used almost 400 of these disposable gloves so far.

7 comments:

  1. The fiddly bits can be very time consuming. You must be starting to think about X beams etc too......I lost count of the number of boxes of nitrile gloves, and disposable brushes I used

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeah. Starting to think about beams and rigging also. So many options. These kind of things keep me up at night.

      Delete
    2. LOL. I know what you mean. I think half my construction time was actually spent cogitating.

      Delete
  2. Hi Rodney
    good idea the outboard mounting! Looks very strong. Do you already have the alloytubes for the beams?
    Cheers
    Hardy

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Hardy
      I have one beam only at the moment. It is a 127mm (5 inch) section, thick wall (very strong) which I plan to use for the main beam. Will get an aft beam later. I'll stick to the 127mm size as it is easier to get.

      Delete
    2. Same here in Germany, until now i have found no tubes in this size, specially not in marine quality. Normal (6060) alloy would be no problem, but i can't decide, if it is strong enough.

      Delete
    3. Same here in Germany, until now i have found no tubes in this size, specially not in marine quality. Normal (6060) alloy would be no problem, but i can't decide, if it is strong enough.

      Delete