Saturday 17 August 2013

Long panel

I have made the long piece which forms the bottom of the inner wing. It is about 6 metres long using scarph joins and kind of looks like a big wooden banana.
Here you can see it upside down to get an idea of the curve involved.


This is actually an earlier photo which shows that I glued the scarph joins with it in place to get the curve just right and used some plastic film to stop it sticking to the hull so I could later remove it to fair the edge where it meets the hull.



And here is the final result. The board has been glued in place. Then the big fillet join added.
Also all the screw holes have been filled and the hull routed and faired, ready for fibreglass.


As you can see the port hull caught a hail of wood chips from the fairing of the hull. Looking forward to getting this hull up the right way to see them side by side.

5 comments:

  1. coming along rapide, Rodney. excellent stuff

    cheers, Bryan

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks Bryan.

    I've just noticed I am a couple of months behind where I was with the first hull at this time last year.
    I'll see if I can catch up!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Rodney
    Good looking work, as every time you post. Do you have a timeline for the build?
    Cheers
    Hardy

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi Hardy
    Thanks. I have no timeline for the build. Just taking it as it comes. For me it is good not having a set finish time, otherwise I would most likely be behind schedule lol;). And it would take some enjoyment away from the build.
    In saying that my current rate of progress could see it finished late next year perhaps.

    I really am making it seem like a slow boat to build but it isn't. Bernd's estimate of 500 hours is about right I think.

    Looking forward to see yours take shape soon. :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Ja, I hope to set up the Bulkheads soon and put on the stringers. But by now i am still building the "shipyard". After that time will be short for epoxy works, because temperatures will become low in about two or three months.
    Best wishes for you!

    ReplyDelete